As school begins in earnest around the country, you may be wondering how you clean and disinfect a SMART Board or some other flat panel display. Prior to the COVID-19 pandemic, this probably wasn’t as big a concern as it certainly is now. Happily, the procedure isn’t all that complicated.
Before cleaning, please make certain that you:
- Do not use any type of marker on the screen. If you accidentally use something like a dry-erase marker, remove the ink as soon as possible with a lint-free, non‑abrasive cloth.
- Do not rub the screen with dense or rough material.
- Do not apply pressure to the screen.
- Do not use cleaning solutions or glass cleaners on the screen as they can deteriorate or discolor the screen.
- Avoid touching the reflective tape between the screen and the frame and ensure that this strip stays dry. Damage to this strip affects touch interactivity.
*According to SMART, generally, it is best to use only a cloth slightly dampened with distilled water to clean your SMART Board and never spray liquid directly onto the surface.
The best way to clean and disinfect your SMART Board, and which has been approved by the folks at SMART, is to use a diluted bleach solution.
To mix the correct solution, using standard household bleach at a strength of 5% Sodium Hypochlorite:
- 4 tsp. of bleach per quart of distilled water
- 1/3 cup bleach per gallon of distilled water
Adjust accordingly to maintain the 0.1% solution if you’re using bleach stronger or weaker than 5% Sodium Hypochlorite. SMART recommends using a spray bottle for applying the solution to the cloth to avoid over-saturating it. Test a small, inconspicuous area before you clean the entire surface. 70 – 90% isopropyl alcohol comes pre-diluted and no mixing is required. For concentrations above 90%, dilute accordingly with distilled water.
Once you have the solution in a spray bottle, then:
- Make sure you have two lint-free, non-abrasive cloths.
- Turn off any connected computers.
- Turn the display off. Go to https://support.smarttech.com/hardware and find your specific model for instructions.
- Wipe all surfaces with the first dry lint-free, non-abrasive cloth to remove dust and debris.
- Gently spray a small amount of the water or cleaning solution on the second cloth.
Note: Do not oversaturate the cloth to the point it is dripping.
- Wipe the screen with the dampened cloth.
- After wiping the screen, wipe off the remaining SMART Board surfaces that can be normally touched, such as the frame, pens, and other accessories.
Once done, your SMART Board will be clean and disinfected and ready for use.
If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact Teach Smarter at email@example.com.